Monday, February 6, 2012

Bramble Berry S.O.A.P. Panel Fragrance Testing in Melt and Pour Part 1

I have been working on putting the Bramble Berry test fragrances in Melt and Pour (MP) soap.  I guess I should say “playing” because it’s not work; it’s fun!  Here’s what I found with fragrances 10, 7 and 9.  I decided to use this feng-shui seasons mold from Bramble Berry since we are testing summer fragrances.  http://www.brambleberry.com/Feng-Shui-Seasons-Mold-P3120.aspx

I started with #10 in MP soap because it’s one of my two favorites so far.  Plus, I’ve been working with the fragrances in order from #1-10 and thought I’d mix it up a bit.

Fragrance 10 discolored the soap a little, but so far really didn’t interfere with the color of soap I was going for.  I added fragrance at 3%. 



At the initial pour, the fragrance seemed much weaker in the soap than from the bottle. But when I unmolded it, the fragrance was just right for my taste. It will be interesting to see if the soap discolors over time.



I used #7 in MP soap next.  It’s my other favorite.  In case you are wondering, I eat my dessert first, too.  This fragrance is white to me, but I decided to do it in yellow because I like color.  Again, I used 3% fragrance. 



The oil has a bit of a yellow tinge to it.  Lucky for me right now it matches the color of the soap.  The fragrance smells absolutely wonderful in the MP base.



Fragrances 10 and 7 both make pretty strong statements.  I think people will either love them or wonder why others love them.  I am the president of the fan club for both 7 and 10.

Fragrance 9 was next.  It’s the one that seems like ginger and peach to me.  So I made it orange.  The fragrance is different in the soap than from the bottle, as is usually the case.  This one is very pleasant and not too sweet or overpowering.  I still smell peach, but I’m not sensing ginger so much now.  I think this is one that most people will like, but I’m not sure it makes a strong “love me” statement.



Fragrance 4 was really fun.  The scent tamed down once it was in the MP base.  It smelled very fresh, and kind of nipped my nostrils like mint does.  I really like the clean, fresh scent of this one.  This fragrance is also very clear.  It might be a good one to use when embedding water soluble paper (as shown on www.SoapQueenTV.com, Episode 9).  I like this one even more now that it is in the Melt and Pour Base. 



Fragrance 1 is pretty clear and didn’t seem to discolor.  I still smell melon now that it’s in the MP.  But a friend smelled more of an outdoor foresty scent.  It’s a very fresh and mild fragrance that I think would have wide appeal.  The notes in the fragrance are still somewhat elusive to me, but I like it a lot.


 
That’s a recap of half of the fragrances in MP.  Later I’ll post on the other half, then finally I’ll post a summary (not so many words) on the 10 fragrances in MP. 

Thanks for reading! 

2 comments:

  1. I really loved all the details you included for each fragrance!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Anne-Marie. Sometimes the details make me feel like I'm rambling . . .

    ReplyDelete