Friday, March 30, 2012

The Soap Monster

This is the Soap Monster.

I have been wanting to order a Soap Monster from Bramble Berry for quite some time.  But I was afraid of it.  Recently I called myself a little chicken, decided to get over it, and took the plunge ordered glycerin soap base from Bramble Berry in 25 pound boxes. Yes.  Boxes, plural.

I love Bramble Berry’s bases because I feel that they are as close to natural as I’m going to get in a pre-made glycerin base at an affordable price. This is their premium clear base that I have been using since I started making soap.  I dubbed it the soap monster because cutting up a 25 pound block of glycerin soap base seemed intimidating.  Even after reading the SoapQueen Tutorial on Cutting Blocks of soap, I was intimidated.

Let me tell you about my first experience with cutting these monster blocks of soap down to size.

First I want to say thank you to my Dad and my Girl Scout leaders for some great training on knife safety and proper handling of knives.  This information was invaluable as I tackled the soap blocks.  If you ever do this, make sure you know and follow proper knife safety.

Here’s the box the soap came in.  It’s about 13 x 10 x 5 inches.  The soap was poured directly into a plastic bag inside the box. 

Some of the plastic was into the soap a ways, but I was able to pull it out just fine.  If you look closely, you can see little "bag tracks" where I pulled the bag away from the soap.

I started by cutting off a strip of soap about 1” wide from the side of the block.  Glycerin soap base is interesting to work with.  It's sticky and slippery all at once.  It requires a good deal of caution and a bit of elbow grease. 

The one inch slice you see above had some bubbles that needed to be shaved off. 

I used a cheese slicer/planer to do that job. 

It worked great, and I didn’t lose valuable soap base.  Had I used a knife, I think I would have ended up with more waste. 

See the radio in the background?  It was tuned to KNWS, a Christian radio station in Waterloo, Iowa.  That made the time spent on this much more enjoyable.  I’ll spare you the audio of me singing along with the radio.

Here's the progress - this is about 2 pounds out of the 25.

Almost halfway finished!

It turns out the Soap Monster isn't really a monster after all.  Cutting up the block wasn’t difficult; it just took a little time. I had no reason to be intimidated.  So if you're considering buying lots of glycerin soap base, this is definitely a great way to go.

I’m happy with what I got done this time around and will save the rest for another day.

Thanks for reading!


  1. I love the name - Soap Monster. You make it look very easy.

  2. Thanks, Traci! It really was pretty easy. But not as much fun as actually making soap :-)

  3. That's a lot of soap base! I listen to KNWS quite often!:-) I now own 2 more bars of your soap. A lady from our church gave me a couple as a gift for helping her in our AWANA buck store this year. She met you at a craft fair maybe? She sells Arbonne. I can't wait to try them!

  4. Hi, Carol.

    Thanks for posting. It's great to hear from you!

    It is a lot of soap base. It should keep me going for a couple of months anyway.

    KNWS does such a great job with the music. It seems most of the songs they play are favorites of mine.

    The gal from your church and I may have met at the South Waterloo Church of the Bretheren craft fair. I hope you love the soap.

    Plaid Peacock and I are working on putting together a children's soaping session at their place on May 5th. Kids will get to make some soap for their mothers for Mother's Day. It should be fun.

    I hope to do a cold process soap from scratch demonstration in June or July. We'll see.

  5. I think your right-the church name sounds familiar. Maybe I can get my hubby to take my youngest to the kids day and I'm looking forward to a class from you! :-)
    Take care.

  6. I'd love to have your youngest in the kid's day!