Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Pi Day

I've been waiting all year to say this.

Happy Pi Day

Yep.  Today is Pi Day.  I’m a math teacher in my day job.  So this is a big day for me.  Pi is the ratio of the circumference of a circle to its diameter. Pi = 3.14 ish.  We use that as the common estimation because the real Pi is irrational.  You can divide forever (a nightmare to many people, I understand) and the number will never end or repeat.  How cool is that?

Now this part is really cool (if you’re a math type).  According to a Pi Day site , computers have figured Pi to over one trillion digits past the decimal.  How exciting is that? 

Hey, there – are you still awake?

I don’t have any Pi soap.  Rats.  I’ll have to do something about that before next year.  I don’t have any pie soap either, but here’s a picture of a pie tart gel candle.  I know it’s not nearly as exciting as Pi soap, but it’s as close as I can come . . . for now, anyway.



Thanks for sticking with me through this diversion into part of my little world of math!

2 comments: