Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Happy May Day!

Happy May Day!

This day always brings back fond memories of filling cups with candy and popcorn, then searching for violets and lily of the valley in bloom so they could be included as well.  What a great day!  Is there any other day that kids (big and little) have permission to, and are even encouraged to, ring the doorbell and run?

Sidenote - one day my friend and I rang the front doorbell at my house and then ran.  My friend was in on it once.  I, on the other hand, was having so much fun I rang the bell then ran several times.  My Mom figured it out.  She was NOT happy.  Turns out she was doing dishes and my ring happy prank kept her from getting that chore done as efficiently as she wanted.  Who knew?  Anyway, that was a one-time deal.  She was quite gracious about it, but I did not repeat that rude behavior again. 

Except on May Day.  And then I limited myself to one ring and run per house.  And I left behind a basketful of candy, wilted flowers and stale popcorn.

Did you ever make May baskets out of construction paper and staples?  Lots of staples?  Or put a pipe cleaner through a styrofoam cup to make a basket?

I hope you enjoy some May Day memories today.  And if someone rings your doorbell and runs, leaving behind a beautiful May basket of goodies just for you, Enjoy!

Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

  1. Oh wow! I have never heard of May Day? that is awesome! How sweet to leave candy and flowers and popcorn..neat! Hmmm..next year we will have to try that. :-) thank you for sharing Jean, what a sweet memory. hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had lots of fun with May baskets. I didn't make any this year. Maybe I'll remember to plan ahead next year.

      Delete