Sunday, June 24, 2012

Making Glycerin Soap with Kids

A friend brought her daughters over for a morning of glycerin soap making.  It was so fun.  The girls made oval soaps with vinyl fish toys inside.  For extra sparkle, they added glitter to the soap base.

We also made lego blocks, lego peeps, robots with keys, and colorful mustache soaps!  The girls did a great job of carefully pouring the soap base into the molds.  They enjoyed chosing the colors and fragrances for each soap.

We also made some bath salts.  The colors turned out so pretty, and the girls had fun mixing the ingredients.  See the yogurt containers in the picture below?  That’s what they used to shake up the salts, fragrance and color to create beautiful bath salts.   They even mixed different colored salts together and achieved some stunning results  Unfortunately I was so engrossed in the activity I forgot to get pictures of them.

The last project we did was a lip scrub.  This was an experiment for all of us, as it was the first time I made this product.  We used gummy bear flavor.  We added sugar for exfoliation and a bit of sweetness.  The consensus was that even after we licked our lips to get any sugar removed, our lips felt wonderfully soft and moisturized.  I’ll be making more of these for sure.  I hope I don’t eat the one I kept J 

Working with kids is so much fun.  I am energized by their enthusiasm and inquisitiveness.

Thanks for a fun morning of soap making, girls. 

Thanks for reading!


6 comments:

  1. I must have one of those mustaches!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That can be arranged. The kids had fun with them. And they chose the bright colors.

      Delete
  2. What a fun little play date, it looks like they had a blast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne-Marie -
      I think they did. I know I did :-)

      Delete
  3. My kids LOVED this experience and sharing the soaps with family on vacation. There were lego or robot soaps at each sink of the cabin, and we loved smelling the strawberry scent as we goofed with the mustaches under our noses! The girls in the family all got a lip scrub, and they all loved the moisture (and flavor) too! Thank you again, Jean, for a fun and creative morning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christy - I'm so glad the girls had fun. I know I had a blast! It's great that your family enjoyed the soaps and lip scrubs too. I can just see you all with the mustaches under your noses!

      Delete