Monday, June 4, 2012

Gone Fishing

Last week I got to go on vacation in Minnesota.  Ever since I was a child, this has been an important part of summer for me.  I have always loved being on the lake and enjoying the scenery and wildlife.  And I have always loved to fish.

The weather was cold and windy the first several days of vacation.  I’m not one to row out in a little 14’ aluminum craft when there are whitecaps.  So we were well into the week before I got to go in the boat and fish.


One evening I went fishing when the lake was so still it looked like glass.  I am a catch-and-release type of gal; I’m not after big fish to feed my family.  I enjoy catching fish of any type or size that put up a bit of a fight.  I caught several fish on this particular night.  I caught my first northern in many years.  It was small, about 14”, but it was fun to catch.  Once I got it in the boat, it broke the line, so I had to grab him so I could take the hook out and send him on his way.  I also caught several rock bass.  They are good fighters.  I can pretend like something really big is on the other end of the line. 

More fish soaps since I don't have any
pictures of the real thing to share

Want to know a secret?  Sometimes I do that with weeds too.  I’m pretty sure that some really big fish that got away were actually weeds, but I leave a window of possibility that rather than a weed, I truly did have “the big one” on my line. 

I have no proof of my catches.  I was alone in the boat, and I didn’t have a camera.  So I hope you’ll take my word for it J

Thanks for reading!

6 comments:

  1. So glad you had fun fishing and these little fishy soaps are adorable, more adorable than the real thing in my opinion! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anne-Marie. I think they smell better, too :-)

      Delete
  2. lol love your sense of humor Jean! Great post :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And thanks for reading and commenting :-)

      Delete
  3. Hi Jean! I hope you had a great vacation. Sounds like the fishing was good once the weather cooperated. What did you do the rest of the time? These litte fishes are super cute! Did you do some in clear and some in the opaque?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vacation was great. Other than fishing, I read, saw a couple of movies, and did some shopping. It was very relaxing. Thanks for the compliment on the little fish. I think they are all clear except for the yellow one. Their brightness made photographing them a little tricky!

      Delete