Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Lotion Bars

When I first began formulating a lotion bar recipe, I knew I wanted a product that would be highly moisturizing without feeling greasy.  It was important to me to stay away from nut products (including shea, which comes from the nut of the fruit from the karite tree that grows in West Africa).  After some trial and error, I came up with my current recipe. 

Here’s a little information about the role each ingredient plays.  The Beeswax contributes healing, antiseptic, emollient and softening properties.  The Apricot Oil is said to penetrate the skin without leaving an oily feel.  The Sal Butter is said to moisturize the skin and help prevent wrinkles.  While it is said to also offer protection from the sun and other harsh elements, I would not recommend relying on it as a sun blocker.  Vitamin E is an antioxidant and also possesses some anti-aging benefits to skin. 

There is usually some color and fragrance oil added.  All ingredients have FDA approval for use on the skin.  A friend of mine who is a hair dresser told me that my lotion bars are the only thing that keeps her hands from getting cracks in the winter and the only product she has tried that keeps her cuticles nice all winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment