Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Black Soap

I had great hopes of making soap from scratch a couple of weeks ago, and then the handle fell off my sink.  The handle was replaced within a couple of days, but I didn’t get to make soap again until today.  And what fun I had playing mad scientist today.

After debating about which soaps to make,  I settled on my choices.  Recently a customer told me that he loved the activated charcoal layer in my Feel Good Spa Soap.  He requested a bar of soap with activated charcoal throughout.  Why stop at one bar?  I made a whole loaf today!  I'll tell you about the others another day.


There wasn’t much creativity involved in the black soap other than coming up with a custom essential oil blend that is guy friendly.  That doesn't mean it's exclusively for guys, but I do think that, generally speaking, guys will like it.

To entertain myself, I made some swirlies on top.  Generally, I prefer the top of the soap to be smooth.  But I decided to give the textured top a try and see what happens.


I am so anxious to give this soap a try in a month when it is ready to use.  If I can wait that long . . .

Thanks for reading!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Jean!

    Your soap looks awesome, what yummy delicious fragrance did you use? I bet the waiting time is tough, I would soo want to pop the soap out to have a looksie. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I used essential oils to keep it all natural. The blend has cedarwood, sage, oakmoss and grapefruit in it. It is hard to wait. I tried to pull one side away to see if I could cheat and get it out of the mold tonight. It was a no go, so I guess I'll have to be patient. That will be easy overnight while I'm sleeping, but I'm afraid I'll be checking it again as soon as I wake up! Thanks for posting :-)

      Delete
  2. Does it take a month to cure?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Venise! Yes, it does take a month to cure. During that time water evaporates out, making a longer lasting bar of soap. It also becomes a bit milder during the cure time. Thanks for asking :-)

      Delete